Gagosian is seeking a full time Bookshop Manager for our Bookshop
We are looking for a polished and dedicated Bookshop Manager with excellent communication skills who is both a self-starter and a collaborative team player. The ideal candidate loves to interact with the public and can thrive in a fast-paced and high-end art boutique. As the bookshop recently opened, we are looking for a candidate who is motivated to develop this new space. This individual must be extremely detail oriented with the ability to multitask. Working days are Tuesday to Saturday.
Duties include but not limited to:
• Providing excellent customer service to Gagosian’s loyal client base in a dynamic art/retail environment
• Developing client relationships with collectors, artists, and gallery staff
• Acting as an informed and enthusiastic representative of the gallery and our publishing program, promoting books and art editions made by Gagosian artists, with a focus on retail and sales
• Being knowledgeable and confidently engage with clients about shop merchandise, handling, and selling a selection of rare art books, limited editions, prints, and artworks
• Being knowledgeable on the edition area, books sales, be familiar with the edition houses specialized in art
• Assisting with visual merchandising, handling administrative tasks, working collaboratively on shop display and design
• Working collaboratively with the New York Shop staff on building content and connections in social media platforms, creating campaigns to boost visibility, grow followings and promoting key items to support future shop sales
• Coordinating framing and shipping of shop items to local, national, and international clients.
• Must be comfortable with handling a space from a practical and technical point of view
• Attending and assisting with Gagosian events, openings, and shop events which occasionally requires late nights
Daily responsibilities include: Opening and closing the store and register, all aspects of daily sales, including invoicing, cash and credit card transactions, ordering and maintaining inventory including unpacking and shelving heavy books, answering calls and emails for shop inquiries, tidying of all display areas, and general office related tasks.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with minimum 1-year of arts/retail/gallery experience preferred. Must have knowledge of Gagosian galleries, contemporary art, art history, photography, architecture, design, film, travel, fashion, and culture. Must be an outgoing, friendly person who is comfortable interacting with the public, clients, gallery directors, and working in a high-end retail environment. Excellent telephone and written communication skills are required. Fluent French and English is essential. A flexible team player with an enthusiastic attitude, to assist in all necessary shop functions and duties.
We offer a creative, professional, and collaborative atmosphere with plenty of opportunity for developing your career in the arts. A fun, exciting, and enriching work environment; Gagosian Shop offers an exclusive and extensive selection of artists' books, scholarly monographs, catalogues and limited editions. Gagosian's unparalleled publishing program, featuring books on artists exhibited at Gagosian's worldwide galleries, is the central focus of the Shop.
Full-Time Salaried position.
Commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] with "Bookshop Manager" in the subject line. Absolutely no walk-ins or phone inquiries will be accepted for this position.